An IT function can struggle for many reasons, ranging from an overwhelming workload or a rapidly changing market through to having significant technical debt or a lack of skilled technical staff. Below are 10 questions that I have asked many times over the years, to help business owners, CEOs and Chairs understand whether their IT department could benefit from external assistance.
2. Does the IT function feel like it is no longer providing value for money?
3. Are the IT systems unreliable? If so, are they failing during core business hours?
4. Have any of the IT systems suffered a data breach or a security incident?
5. Does the IT strategy match and support the business strategy? Are they proceeding, on schedule, in lock step?
6. Does the Head of the IT department appear to need help and guidance in order to succeed?
7. Is the IT department demoralized? Is there an unusually high staff turnover?
8. Are any departments outside of IT running their own IT systems?
9. Does IT feel like it does not have a handle on the demand for changes?
10. Is there a particular IT project or initiative that is extremely late and over budget?